Monday, January 25, 2010

The person that has inspired me..

The one person that has taught and inspired me the most I think is my Orchestra teacher Mr. Jorgensen, or as I call him " Mr. J". I started playing cello when I was 10 years old and I went to Sugg for middle school and the orchestra teacher there was horrible. Not going to name any names but, he was BAD. He was absent a lot, he taught too fast, he made it so much more complicated than it needed to be. I swear all I learned in that class was every line to the movie Fiddler On The Roof because we watched that movie at least 10 times that year. So I learned nothing and I was a very bad player. When I got to high school orchestra I was so nervous because I was so far behind everyone else. I didn't know anything about music or about my instrument. Mr. J whipped me into shape. He taught me so much about music history, composers and about playing an instrument. Things I never knew existed. By the time I reached my sophomore year he put me into Advanced Orchestra and that's where I've been ever since. He transformed me into the player that I always wanted to be. He gave me the tools, the confidence and the skill to be that. Not only am I smarter in music but I'm a thousand times more confident then I was a few years ago. There's no such thing as a perfect musician. You may not believe it but even people like Yo-Yo Ma have their bad days where they really stink but it's true. It's not about being perfect it's about being imperfect, having flaws but still putting your all into your craft. All it takes is some TLC. I'm really glad I came to Bayshore and joined orchestra because of Mr.J. He really influenced me. He taught me and showed me things that I will take with me for years and years to come.

No comments: