Wednesday, February 17, 2010

5 Things

So for this blog I'm supposed to name 5 things that a teacher can do to be a better teacher to students. Most of the tips I'm going to give are pretty basic but they're things that I look for and appreciate.

1. Making learning fun: If kids get bored in the classroom or with the assignments then they're not going to even want to learn. You have to make the kids want to be productive and they're dragging their feet with every assignment or project, chances are they are bored with the regular routine. So switch it up and make it fun. Go outside, draw pictures, do videos, watch movies ect.

2. Connect with your students: When I mean connect I mean on a personal level, but not too personal. You have to be relatable to your students. You can be 50 years old and still have a fun time with your students that are 17-18 years old. That's going to make all the difference. The vibes you give off from the start will stick till the end of the school year so first impressions are important. It's nice to have a personal conversation with your teacher once in a while instead of just talking about homework. Sharing stories is refreshing.

3. Don't be too controlling: Everyone knows that teens hate being told what to do. Parents at home tell us what to do all the time. It's your job to give us direction to learn but not constantly be on our back about every single thing. I find that if I'm being pushed around all the time, I just stop and do my own thing. You have to let us breathe and give us space. God knows me need direction but not so much that we feel like we have another set of parents. No one wants a mother clone.

4. Be positive: I don't like being talked down to and I know lots of kids my age feel the same way. Even if we fail miserably at something it's important to give us at least some good feedback. Not everyone is as good at something as someone else might be and it's important to keep that in mind. As long as you recognize that someone did their best that's all that matters. If you knock us down on our mistakes we are more likely to give up, pats on the back only make us work harder.

5. Pay attention to different types of learning: Everyone learns things differently. I learn better through example and pictures or colors. Other people may learn better from just reading and taking notes. I know that there are many ways the brain works and that's good for you to know as a teach too. Some people have trouble learning the traditional way which is to read and write till it's engraved in your head. If you let everyone learn something the way they can learn it and it will pay off.

So that's it, I hope this helps.


No comments: