Tuesday, November 3, 2009

30 lines...

Okay. So I almost got scolded for not doing my 30 line blog but I ran away. So I guess I better do it now before it's too late. I'm going to blog on adoption. Having my own experience with this topic this shouldn't be too difficult. I was adopted when I was two months old. My birth mother was 17 when she had me. She wasn't married, she was still in school, and a lot of other stuff was going on her life. Not to ignore the fact that Asuncion, Paraguay is DIRT POOR. Not really a place you would want to be. I was adopted by a single woman. Adoption is a much more draining, long and intense process than people think it is. My new mom spent a year in Paraguay before she even saw me. If you want to talk about hours upon hours of paperwork then we can talk about all the paperwork involved with adoption. Aside from all that, one of the hardest parts about the whole thing is what happens when the child is handed over. There are 2 kinds of adoption. Closed and Open Adoption. Open meaning that the child can go back and have contact with their biological family if they want to in the future. You get visitation and time together. Closed adoption being when you have none of that. Also the mother/father leave no information about themselves. Mine was closed. If I had to give up my child for adoption I would never do a closed adoption. I believe that every child deserves to know about where they come from and who they came from. I don't have the ability to that. For many reasons I've wanted to know somethings about my past and I can't find out. If I were to go back to Paraguay and even attempt to find them I would probably end up looking around some country for roughly 5+ years. No joke. I think whatever choice you make on a child's life should be well thought out and done responsibly. If your heart is with the child's heart then you will make the right decision.

No comments: